Nothing beats plant-based sushi rolls on a too-hot-to-cook Canadian summer day. This Vegan Tuna Sushi Roll can be made tofu free and is jam packed with protein and the benefits of seaweed, including minerals, vitamins and even Omega-3’s. Salty and seaweedy flavors combine with the dry texture of chickpeas to fool almost anyone into believing this is tuna!
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Serves: 2 – 4
- 1 cup cooked sushi rice
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 6 seaweed sheets
- 1/3 cup favorite vegan mayo or sauce shown below
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion or garlic scapes
- Salt to taste
Vegan Mayo for Tuna Roll
- 1/4 cup silken tofu
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- Cook sushi rice according to package directions
- While rice is cooking, place chickpeas in a bowl and mash until there are no, or very few, whole chickpeas. Do not mash into a paste. We need a chunky consistency
- If making your own sauce, add all ingredients to a cup sized blender and zing until mixed well. An immersion blender works great for this as well
- Add mayo, scapes or onions and salt (Do not add salt if using the sauce made here as this sauce is made salty already), mix well
- Cover about 4/5 of the seaweed sheet with an even layer of hot rice
- Place a “log” of vegan tuna filling on top of the rice, leaving back about 1 inch from each side to allow for the filling to spread out while being rolled
- Roll, cut and enjoy the fruits of your labours!
- If you are feeling bold and have the skills, feel free to put the rice on the outside of roll with the seaweed on the inside around the tuna filling… I dare you!
- Be sure to keep your rice covered to keep it hot while you are rolling. The steam is needed to make the sushi stick
- Use a very sharp knife and let the blade do the work. Access pressure when cutting will make the filling squeeze out
Thanks for coming around to TrueCanadian.ca! Be sure to check out our Home page for the latest vegan recipes and plant-based tips! Sign up below for awesome recipes and articles right to your in-box and of course, share freely!