Falafel is awesome, what more can I say? This popular middle-eastern street food has infiltrated Canada and is widely available at small donair and pizza shops nation wide. And it’s about time. Even a meat-a-tarian can appreciate the crispy, fragrant nuggets covered with an amazing sauce and served with your choice of veggies either in a salad or a wrap. A great way to stick to your plant-based diet when all your friends want to order in… And even better when they’re homemade!
Prep Time: 8 – 10 hours
Cook Time: 15 mins
Serves 4 – 6 people
- 4 cups of dried chickpeas, soaked for 8 – 10 hours (Do not use canned/cooked chickpeas)
- 2 cups grape seed oil (for frying)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1&1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 heaping tsp coriander seed
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- Drain water off of chickpeas
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or capable blender
- Process until a slightly grainy texture is achieved
- Heat oil on medium high heat to 325F
- Form into desired shape and size (I used my hands for these ones)
- Cook in hot oil, flipping once, for about 3 – 4 minutes per side
- Remove and place on rack over plate or paper towel
The hardest part of this recipe is waiting 8 hours for your chickpeas to soak. Kick back and enjoy your fresh, hot n’ crispy homemade falafel!
- It is possible to use an immersion hand blender. It’s hard work.
- You do not want to turn it into hummus but it needs to stick together in balls
- You will need to apply pressure from all sides in your hand or some type of scoop to make it stick together. Once they are together you will need to be very gentle until they are cooked. If they just won’t hold together, grind it up some more.
- Place your falafel on a fork and slowly push into the oil so it does not fall apart
- Use a fork and butter knife to gently manoeuvre and flip falafel in the hot oil
Thanks for coming around to TrueCanadian.ca! Be sure to check out our Home page for the latest vegan recipes and plant-based tips! Sign up below for awesome recipes and articles right to your in-box and of course, share freely!